Administrative Assistant to the VP of Academic Services
- Gogebic Community College
- Location: Ironwood, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Administrative Assistants
- Posting Date: 08/01/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Administrative Assistant – Vice President of Academic Services
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time Administrative Assistant to the Vice President of Academic Services supporting the academic operations of the college. This position reports to the Vice President of Academic Services and assists the Director of Workforce Development. The starting pay for this position $18.89. The College offers a generous benefits package including Health/Dental/Vision insurance, retirement benefits, and employee paid leave programs. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and manage the day-to-day activities in the Vice President of Academic Services office to assure efficient and effective office operations; coordinate communications; assist the Vice President of Academic Services and the Director of Workforce Development with
- administrative matters.
- Perform a variety of duties in support of assigned functions such as initiating and maintaining payroll records of instructors, assisting at special events and performing research and other special projects.
- Maintain a variety of files and records including some confidential in nature.
- Review, check, correct and compile a variety of information; verify data for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with established procedures.
- Build and maintain the annual academic class schedule.
- Collect, distribute and update confidential adjunct and full-time faculty employment data.
- Develop and maintain an electronic working copy of all academic course schedules from course information submitted by Divisions Chairs.
- Coordinate room reservations for internal and external events and ensure campus calendar is current.
- Prepare for, record, type and disseminate meeting minutes as requested by the Vice President of Academic Services and the Director of Workforce Development.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Exhibit excellent organizational and customer service skills.
• Perform work under pressure, balance competing demands, and set priorities.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, orally, in writing and via telephone.
• Microsoft Office Suite.
• Experience with Jenzabar is a plus.
• Associate degree required.
• Minimum of 2-3 years of experience working in a dynamic office environment required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and stand. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is often required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be. As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality. Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome focused philosophy.
Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region. Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class ishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees.
A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond. Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an on-campus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself.
Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture. Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200-mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest. With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
Applications will be accepted until August 12, 2022.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all the following in one email, or mailed in one envelope to the Human Resources Office:
1. Letter of interest
2. Detailed resume
3. Three references with current contact information
4. GCC Application for Employment
5. Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
6. Other relevant material
Debbie Janczak, Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.